File name on linux system

Hi, One of the customer wants to receive the file with name //CEC821.K003GUK.DOMD(+1) on their linux system. I am using Java application to send the file to remote system, but I am not able to send the file with that name ane even i am not able to create the file with that name on linux system.

Could you please help in this.

Thanks in advance
Satya

"//CEC821.K003GUK.DOMD(+1)" is not a legal file name because / is a reserved character.

No problem with the name as such.

touch "//CEC821.K003GUK.DOMD(+1)"
ls -lad "//CEC821.K003GUK.DOMD(+1)"
-rw-r--r--   1 root      sys              0 Dec  8 17:19 //CEC821.K003GUK.DOMD(+1)
rm -i "//CEC821.K003GUK.DOMD(+1)"
//CEC821.K003GUK.DOMD(+1): ? (y/n) y

However the "//" means top of the root directory tree.
The "//" is exactly the same as "/" in this context.
You may not have permissions to create a file in that directory.
Note that I was using the root account and that I had to use quotes.
Maybe ask the customer to confirm where they want the file placed?

Just in case your Java application invokes "ftp", that filename is not valid in all versions of "ftp".

A filename with a slash absolutely not allowed, even using the open() system call a file cannot be created. I remember while at uni I tried to create a file with a slash in it's name using fsdb and it ruined the filesystem.

Methyl's example is just creating a file in the root directory with the name CEC821.K003GUK.DOMD(+1) . The ls -lad is just echoing back the path it was supplied and had he tried the following he would have discovered that:

# cd /
# ls -l "CEC821.K003GUK.DOMD(+1)"
-rw-r--r--   1 root      sys              0 Dec  8 17:19 CEC821.K003GUK.DOMD(+1)

Yep I realised that the file was created in the root directory. I was only illustrating that the filename was allowed in unix (even if I would never use a filename like that).
The "fsdb" command is for experts and works on devices not files.

The issue here is whether the file name is correctly specified and whether the Java application allows that type of file name.

Methyl, I think it is matter of words. There is a difference between a pathname and a filename. A filename like that is not allowed, a pathname is. Perhaps you are correct in that is what the OP meant.

@Scrutinizer
Good thinking and good lateral thought. We are homing in on the ambiguity of the program specification.