FFTW - ./configure --enable-mpi error.

Hello
I am trying to install fftw3.3.3 on an HPC system. The system has openmpi installed ( though we can choose between a variety of mpi distributions). However, while ./configure step of fftw, there is an error. The relevant section of the output is:

checking whether to build shared libraries... no
checking whether to build static libraries... yes
checking for ocamlbuild... no
checking for mpicc... mpicc
checking for MPI_Init... no
checking for MPI_Init in -lmpi... no
checking for MPI_Init in -lmpich... no
configure: error: could not find mpi library for --enable-mpi 

The command i used was:

./configure --enable-float --enable-shared --enable-mpi --enable-threads --enable-sse2

I also installed mpich2 in my home folder and provided its path through MPICC variable (shown below) but i got the same error as above.

./configure --enable-sse2 --enable-mpi --enable-threads --enable-float MPICC=/home/aacharya/mpich-install/bin

Kindly help as i'm stuck with this.

Are there shared libraries you need to path in?

I don't think so....actually i am working on an HPC cluster for the first time and i really have no clue about the MPI libraries on the system. I was hoping someone could suggest some possible things try out...I had installed fftw on my laptop also and it didn't pose any problems, although in that case i might have installed a different MPI distribution (probably mpich2 via aptitude).

Do you know what your 'Checking for MPI_Init' lines said that time? MPI seems very central to the HPC system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows\_HPC\_Server_2008