Few VIOS questions

Hi, I would like to ask you if you could help me to answer these questions. Please.

How to check in vios, size all pv's and to what they are mapped to?
How to chech on vios/hmc which PowerVM edition is used?

Thank you.

For VIO commands type

$ help

For help on command

$ help cmd 

List unmapped disks

$ lspv -free

List all disk mappings

$ lsmap -all 

list all virtual devices on VIO server partitions

$ lsdev �virtual 

To get VIO version

$ ioslevel

Thank you for trying to help but non of these answered my questions :frowning: .

1. Document your systems when you build them or do the legwork after...

2. As good an answer as I have found - after a single google it was the first hit:
    PowerVM QuickStart

PowerVM Types

� PowerVM inherits nearly all the APV (Advanced Power Virtualization) concepts from Power 5 based systems. It uses the same VIOS software and options as the previous APV.
� PowerVM is Power 6 specific only in that it enables features available exclusively on Power 6 based systems (ie: Multiple shared processor pools and partition mobility are not available on Power 5 systems.)
� PowerVM (and its APV predecessor) are optional licenses / activation codes that are ordered for a server. Each is licensed by CPU.
� PowerVM, unlike its APV predecessor, comes in several different versions. Each is tiered for price and features. Each of these versions is documented in the table on the right.
� PowerVM activation codes can be checked from the HMC, IVM, or from IBM records at this URL: IBM Capacity on Demand: Activation code. The activation codes on the IBM web site will show up as type "VET" codes.

Express � Only available on limited lower-end P6 systems
� Maximum of 3 LPARs (1 VIOS and 2 VIOC)
� CPU Micro-Partitions with single processor pool
� VIOS/IVM only, no HMC support
� Dedicated I/O resources (in later versions)

Standard � Up to the maximum partitions supported on each server
� Multiple shared processor pools
� IVM or HMC managed

Premium � All options in Standard & Live Partition Mobility

� The VET codes from the IBM activation code web site can be decoded using the following "key":
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX0000XXXXXX Express
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX2C00XXXXXX Standard
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX2C20XXXXXX Enterprise

Thank you for trying to help, I found that info as you did before posting here. I'm asking because I have been asked on interview those two questions and I don't know as answers.

The interviewer told me that you can answer those two questions with two commands, each for one question. But I didn't find those two commands.

Thanks.

IMHO, the questions are somewhat nebulous...

For example:

lsvg -pv `lsvg`

Might show what the question is asking?? But WHAT is the question really wanting?

The command I listed above will show the PVs associated with VGs... and shows some PP data. Is that the "mapping" being looked for? I think the question is not specific enough. Just my opinion. The first responder gave very valid examples of other things that COULD be the answer as well... maybe you KNOW the specifics of what is being asked for? Please share...

Interviewer might mean on the first question... command using the IVM?

Last question mentions hmc/vios... so... using an HCM command and/or an IVM command?

IMHO, the interviewer is making a LOT of assumptions. I think if you answered with anything reasonable with regards to hmc commands or IVM commands, you'd be fine... and if that's not sufficient, it's likely the interviewer isn't truly qualified to be performing the interview... just saying...

So... if using an HMC, you can send messages to the "vios" using viosvrcmd -m <managedname> -c <command>..... if using the IVM directly, can just issue <command>

Again, I think that any reasonable interviewer would understand that you have basic grasp of "vios" and "hmc" if you just did some general talking about some of the things already listed in reply to your question. Of course, it might be better to talk about setting up repos and doing installs, etc...

To get the size of the disks on a VIO server use this command as padmin:

lspv -size

As far as the PowerVM is concerned I am not sure how to check that from the VIO but there is a lssyscfg command from the HMC but I am not sure which flags to set to show the PowerVM on a certain LPAR.

---------- Post updated at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:26 AM ----------

Well it took a bit of searching but I was correct. The command

lssyscfg

with various flags set will run on both the HMC and the VIO server. I have not found which flags / conditions need to be set to return the version of the PowerVM, but I will as this is something I have never thought of!

Thank you for replies.

I have quoted questions in first post which I have been asked. Whole interview was strange. I didn't get that job but instead I got another one for another company where I will work with newer managed systems then I would work in the first job which I didn't get.

Thanks again.