Few Questions on about Linux Servers.

1.On x86 Machines ( Pentium4 ), What is the maximum number of Services( sshd, ntpd,named ,samba, etc.) that can be installed.? Is there a rule of thumb to attain the best possible performence.?

1. Is there a systematic way to boot a remote Machine.?

2. Are there any problems of having two dhcp servers on the same network.?

3. What is the equivalent to Group Policy in Linux.?

4. Can Linux Commands such as ( mkdir, ls, cat ) changed so that they behave different.?

5. How can you deny a user to use Linux Commands such as (mkdir, rm etc) without denying shell access.?

7.How can I monitor what files users have erased.?

1. How are the systems (mail, uucp, mysql, news etc.)accounts different from user accounts.? ( what are the significance of system accounts, when or how do you use them.?).

9.Suppose you have 5 Linux Clients Connected for Linux Server Linux Authentication Using OpenLDAP or NIS enabled.

a-My question is , How can I assign a mandatory user profile for users, so that no user account can customize desktop settings.?

b-How can I Automate a single software installation simultaneously into Five or more clients at once.( like application deployment in MS Windows)

thanks,

There are no arbitrary limits. It comes down to the amount of memory your server has, and how much traffic your machine and network will be required to handle. If this is not high, then even a small server is capable of quite a lot.

Short answer: No. Long answer: nnnnnnnno. This is a complex problem that depends on what kind of performance we're talking about. network performance? disk performance? response times? memory throughput? other?

You mean, wake-on-LAN? That's simple enough if you're on the same local area network, but if you're not, you'll have to get something else on the same LAN to do it for you.

Yes, they will interfere with each other, give inconsistent answers, possibly cause duplicate IPs, etc. Turn one off, you only need one per NAT segment.

Different in what way?

Don't give them write access for any files or directories you don't want them to touch.

You could check their shell history. What/where this is depends on the shell.

System accounts are used by daemons. When they're running, you'll find they're running under these users. They're there to give them access to the files they need and absolutely nothing else, and to keep everyone else out. The 'nobody' user in particular grants access to nothing at all. You don't need to log into them yourself.

this looks like homework... thread closed!