Fedora Windows XP Prof dual boot

Faced with a "learn the new platform at your own expense or lose your job" ultimatum, I bought a Maxtor internal HD and added it to my older HP desktop which had been upgraded from Windows to Windows Professional. I installed Fedora on the new 500 GB HD and tried putting the Fedora boot partition on both the new drive and the existing drive, as it wasn't clear to me which was correct from the instructions I was using. Neither worked. When I booted up, I could not get the choice of using Fedora or Windows, I always only went to Windows. After switching how the cables were connected (using the master/slave combination instead of two separate cables), I am now able to see both drives, but just not able to boot from Fedora system.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Hope this help a little, here is what I did to dual boot my Windows Vista and Ubuntu.

1) Installed Windows Vista normally on 1st partition.

2) Installed Ubuntu on 2nd partition, and when asked where to install grub I told it to install on 1st partition (Windows).

Now when it boots grub comes up and lets me choose which system to boot into.

(Pretty sure I got that right, if not Im sure someone will correct me)

It seems that no matter how I configure Fedora, with the its boot partition on the Windows HD or its boot partition on the Fedora HD, whenever I reboot the system, I get no choice as to which OS to run. Only Windows comes up.

See: Octave --- My octuple boot laptop

Hi,
Mine is not a reply but;I have a hard disk with a dual boot of Fedora and XP now I bought another laptop and want to move the hard drive as is to the new laptop.Fedora does not have any issues but XP does not make the switch even when I try to do the repair.Any advice out there on how to move the hard disk am sure there is alot to learn from the answer to this problems

Peoples

You have tried to move a disk that has all the drivers for one system to another which does not have those drivers.

Fedora, like most distros, will have the drivers available as pluggable modules and most are already "there". However XP does not. There is a way to do this, however.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving

I assume no liability for you doing this.