Fedora 17 LVM Issue

Hello,

I tried to add more space to my Volume Group in Fedora 17 and the process seems to have borked: LVM did not restart. I booted into partition manager and deleted the new parition but that seems to have compounded the problem. Now when I try and restore the Volume Group I get this message:

root@localhost liveuser]# lvm vgcfgrestore vg_data 
  Couldn't find device with uuid tqSZYk-r4hy-Zj0A-mlqq-dFQ2-9X23-jq2Sup.
  Cannot restore Volume Group vg_data with 1 PVs marked as missing.
  Restore failed.

I know it is important to try and figure things out on your own so I found this info on the net about the UUID:

Presuming that the metadata backups are intact, you need to "pvcreate -ff"
the physical volumes and run vgcfgrestore on each of them.
"vgscan ; vgchange -ay" should get you back to business afterwards.

I really don't want to mess up anything more as I would rather not loose all my data so if someone could post DETAILED steps as to what I have to do to handle this UUID problem I would appreciate it. We learn sometimes by breaking things and I realize now that I should not have deleted the partition: I should have just have restored the volume group.

Sorry I do not have the answer for you, but I'd suggest copying the important stuff on your volume off-site (or taking a snapshot/imaging the server if that is possible) before you do any more messing around. I'd hate to see your volume disappear and you lose all your stuff. :smiley: