fbackup

Hey guys im trying fbackup, what kind of device should be used for the output. i tried to put the output into a disk that i LVM and to /tmp but it wont work, theres an error saying that its not a valid device for backup.

a disk that i LVM what?...
>theres an error saying that its not a valid device for backup
2 things:
man fbackup
directories are not valid devices for they are not files...

Hello,

try something like this :

It creates a fbackup file.

/usr/sbin/fbackup -f /TEMP/backup/backup_file -g var/adm/fbackupfiles/graph

In the graph file you're able to exclude / include files and dirs !

Regards

Thanks for the info....:slight_smile:

With the above example... Would it be possible for "/TEMP/BACKUP" to be an NFS mounted share, effectively letting me store my backup file on our NAS Device???

I've been searching for this solution for a while before I just stumbled on this forum.

I supposed you tried (and it worked..) no?

it certainly does work, although, extremely slowly.

The server backs up 9 gigs to a DDS Tape in about 3 hours. Over the NFS link its taking more like 9+ hours...

I'm not sure why this is. It is backing up over a 100mbit connection directly to the backup server.

Ive seen weird things from time to time such as dead slow install when the depot was on nfs...
Tha make me wonder if you have enough room, try to fbackup to a file locally then mv it to your nfs FS, and tell us if it makes a difference ( I believe so...)

I wish I could test that, but unfortunately I can't. I dont have the space for a 9GB file. This system is an old K-Class (K-200).

Good boxes...
I have also noticed that the priv drops after a good amount of time with fbackup, try to neg renice, it should improve a bit... ( -10 ?)

any chance you could post a sample of how i'd do that?

1) man renice - For this case you would have to be root...
2) ps -ef|grep fbackup to get the procID
3) choose a decent value and try...
Dont forget to use timex to have some timings...

Thinking of it if you are using fbackup its to overcome the 2 GB file limitation I suppose,
Could you not consider like I had the case with oracle exports, to split the backups in 5-6 <2GB files?
You could then use pax which is really good when you dont have backup software and its not proprietary...
Then you could even ( but with a K200 - not more than 2!!) launch in parallel 2 backups,
Im sure that would reduce the time...

What OS is it ? 10.20?

I'm runnung version B.11

I'm not very familiar with HPUX, so you'll have to explain more about PAX...

pax isnt HPUX.. start by reading the man pages, unfortunately Im away for 4 days, so I hope someone will continue the discussion with you...

Good luck