Extract Line and Column from CSV Line in ksh or bash format

Hi,

I was doing some research and can't seem to find anything. I'm trying to automate a process by creating a script to read a csv line and column and assigning that value to a variable for the script to process it.

Also if you could tell me the line and column if it's on another work book (not sure if this is the correct term, referring to the tabs on the bottom as if you were viewing it in excel)

Is this possible? if it is can i write it with bash or would i need perl?

Thanks!

---------- Post updated 07-12-12 at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous update was 07-11-12 at 10:57 AM ----------

anyone have any advice?

is that value every time on the same line and column?

Hi,

Thanks for answering... no the value will change... basically I'm writing a script to automate a process. I need to script to pull a few lines like lets say Column A line 1 - line 50 for example. but there will be times that it is only 1 or two lines. so i would need it to find those lines and assign them a variable for the script to continue. I think i should be ok to write the script once i have this out of the way but... I'm so confused on how to get that info and assign it a variable. not sure its even possible.

I did a search on Excel in CPAN and found two modules that you could install and then use perl. I've never used either of these before, but, looks like there's modules that could help you out.

Spreadsheet::ParseExcel & Excel::Writer:XLSX

---------- Post updated at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:53 AM ----------

Sorry, maybe I misread your post. Is this a text csv file or is it an excel xls file?