External Snapshot using previously defined lv

I prefer to assign my own lv names rather than the automatic LV creation that the snapshot
Can it be done or is IBM's man page flawed?
I am on AIX 6.1 TL 04 Machine type 9133-55A
All local SCSI storage.

I manually create the lv and attempt to create the snapshot:

# mklv -y snapfs99 -t'jfs2' tempvg 1
snapfs99
# /usr/sbin/snapshot -o snapfrom=/clarity -n snapfs99
snapshot: /dev/prdlv27: Operation not permitted.

From what I understand from the snapshot man page you can specifiy your own lv name.

Looks like the -n option is what you want the snapshot named, so you would need to add the additional lv name on the end such as;

snapshot -o snapfrom/clarity -n anapfs99 /dev/snapfs99

Looks to me like it's complaining about not being able to perform the operation on the /dev/prdlv27 lv. Is that the lv inwhich the /clarity FS reside on?

Recheck the man page for the -n option. If I read that correctly the filesystem you specified (/clarity) has to be enabled for internal snapshots or you will get an error.

---------- Post updated at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:31 AM ----------

I was wrong, that is what I get for opening my mouth when I don't konw what I am talking about.

If you specify the -n option that means you want to create an internal snapshot which from what I read is created in the same logical volume as the file system and allocates blocks from the file system.

If you are just wanting an external snapshot then you can use your own lv and you would leave off the -n option and just supply the lvname (/dev/snapfs99).

I thought I did it right once before.

Thanks,
# mklv -y snapfs99 -t'jfs2' tempvg 1
snapfs99
# /usr/sbin/snapshot -o snapfrom=/clarity /dev/snapfs99
Snapshot for file system /clarity created on /dev/snapfs99
#
Now I can call IBM, have not called me back yet.