external DDS4 Tape Drive

Hi folks,

I've got a little problem concerning my external dds4 tape drive.
I've got 2 rs6000 systems, one has a external dds4 tape drive attached, I want to attach the tape drive to the other rs6000 system so that i can restore data from the 1st rs6000 on to the second.

Does anybody has some experience doing this, and how this should be done?
I believe I should first disable it on the first one, then attach it to the seccond and the run the configuration manager??

If any of you have advice please let me know!

Greets,

Erik

Removing the device

lsdev -Cc tape Find the dds 4 tape drive
then command like this where rm0 is he tape

lsdev -Cl rmt0 -F parent
xxxx

rmdev -dl xxxx0 -R

Adding the device
cfgmgr ( if you have a cluster may want to just use )
cfgmgr -l xxxx0

I suppose you will want to shuffle the tape drive between the two machines back and forth, right? If so, there is no point in deleting the device entry in one machine with the process like ravager has described. Just switch off the drive and disconnect it (you will notice the devices status to change from "Available" to "Defined") and connect it to the other machine, run cfgmgr, etc..

When you switch the drive back to the original machine run cfgmgr again and the status will go from "Defined" back to "Available" meaning that you can use the device again.

Basically it is a good idea to keep the device information as accurate as possible. If you plan to permanently remove the drive then do like ravager has described. If you plan to shuffle it back and forth on a more or less regular basis then there is no point in deleting a device entry which you will (re-)create again when connecting the drive.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

bakunin is correct.Might as well leave your entries on any system that might be using the New tape device.if not connected will normally just show as defined.I also don't recomend hot plugging external devices,make sure you are powered down before hand.