Execute Ubuntu 14.04 cronjob as non-root

I have created a cronjob that successfully executes and among other thing runs aria2c to download several files and save them to a folder. However, since it executes as sudo , the downloaded folder is saved with those permissions.
Is there a way to execute the cronjob so that the downloaded folder is saved as non-root? As of right now the additional scripts can not see the download as permissions are not the same. I have tried sudo chmod 777 /path/to/scripts , but that does not seem to help. Thank you :).

Since the cronjob executes as root; you can simply change your cron script to change the permissions and ownership (as you please) when the script executes.

Pick another user, go into

crontab

as that user. Create a new entry for the job. The user should be one with suitable permissions to run other code later on against the downloaded file. Hopefully you have a group or some special acl that can allow this.

Make sure that the script does not require advanced permissions to run. This means setting permissions on the directory-ies where the script lives, and on the destination directory tree.

1 Like

I added the cron to crontab -u cmccabe -e and crontab: installing new crontab . This user has the correct permissions to run the script. Thank you :).

---------- Post updated at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:46 AM ----------

I tried to change the ownership and group of the scripts but not thatt cron script. Should that be chmod 775 ? Thank you :).

755 will suffice - any user should be able to execute the script. Note: you need to check what files and directories the script runs against. Same problem.