Exclude socket files from PAX backup

I am working to move my production backups to PAX and have just about everything working. However, when generating a verbose log there is a high number of 'errors' logged regarding socket files:

pax_enh: /var/opt/dce/rpc/local/s-3/135 : Skipped socket file.

Is there a way to tell PAX to not log these skipped files? Or is there a better way to exclude these types of files? I'm trying to make it easier to find a real error when one exists.

Thanks,
Joe

Anyone?

Did you try the

invalid=bypass

setting? PAX has implementation defined settings and restrictions. This should stop logging, since HPUX does not allow socket files.

Jim,
Thanks for the response. I'm using the fs_backup script in a cron job for the backup. Would I use the invalid=bypass key in the script or in the command line in the cron?

Thanks!
Joe

It is part of the pax command line. My version of the man page for pax on hpux shows it use.

Jim,
I'm finding the MAN pages to be a bit obtuse on this. I've modified my command line as follows:
/usr/bin/pax -w -a -x pax $verbose_option invalid=bypass -f $device_file_name -o graph=$graph_file_name " 2
>&1 >> $log_file

But now I get the error:
pax: invalid=bypass : No such file or directory
pax: -f : No such file or directory
/dev/rtape/tape2_BEST.old
pax: -o : No such file or directory
pax: graph=/var/sam/my_files_to_backup : No such file or directory
000000000000000000003000000000000006455xustar00rootsys/dev/rtape/tape2_BEST.old00006660000002000000200000000000133012131
5200147323ustar00binbin00000160000014

So I must be using the option in the wrong place or the wrong way. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Joe

Okay:

/usr/bin/pax -w -a -x -o invalid=bypass -o graph=$graph_file_name  -f $device_file_name  2>&1 >> $log_file

you already have a -o section.

Edit: remove a spurious double quote. oops.

Why are you using pax? It works well, but tar is the standard for backup, saving, and restoring files. Just curious. Because most times people have trouble with tar syntax and so go looking for something easier to use.

Jim,
I'm using pax because that is supported in the SMH interface and my assistant admin can better do restores with that interface. I was also told by HP support that fbackup is the old way and pax is a better approach.

I've got the 'invalid=bypass' option working and that has eliminated most of the socket file errors. But there is still a handful of "skipped socket file" entries in the log that causes the backup to show as failed. For example:
/var/tmp/.java_pid2090 : Skipped socket file.
/opt/commvault/Base64/Temp/8400 : Skipped socket file.
Any thoughts on how to deal with these?
Thanks!
Joe

Anyone?

I'm out of ideas. You can specify a list of filenames to add to the archive from a directory tree -- using find, but I've never tried it.

find /path ! -type s

Note: AFAIK this works only in cpio mode, which already allows you to specify file types to include anyway. Try cpio mode.

This is why I specifically mentioned tar. It has an exclude option that is an exclude file, which lists actual file names to exclude - you populate it with the find command I gave above.