Excel in Unix

Hi,

How can i create an excel sheet in Unix?

Actually i need the data from the tables into the excel sheet.

Please let me know.

Regards,
Puspendu

Excel is a Microsoft product - i.e. it is a Windows based format.

OpenOffice and StarOffice run on various flavours of UNIX. As far as I know, however, OpenOffice only runs on Linux", Solaris, Mac OS X (under X11), and FreeBSD.

Could you not just export your data to a text file, FTP it over to a Windows machine, and then import it into excel as delimited text?

Cheers
ZB

I beleive Perl has a module that you can use to extract data from MS Excel. I've never used it before but Im sure you can find out more on Perl Network.

edited - Just did a google search for "perl excel module" and it returned numerous links. One promissing link is Here

If you want to be simple and cheap, if you write tab delimited file and put a .xls extension on the filename, excel will read that and accept it as its own. Keeps you from doing anything fancy, like formatting and worksheets, but hey, I said simple and cheap, what did you expect?

I've had a very good experience with the Spreadsheet::WriteExcel per module; documentation is at: http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-WriteExcel/lib/Spreadsheet/WriteExcel.pm

It seems like what you are trying to do is similar to what I do... connect to a database, run a query, and then export the results to an Excel file. This module works very well with the perl DBI database access interfaces.

Some of the things I can verify that Spreadsheet::WriteExcel supports:

• Multiple tabs in a workbook
  • Formulas
  • Text attributes (font, color, etc.)
  • Easy row / column navigation

Hope this helps,

• John