Ethereal

Hi,

I work with an interface which connects to a Switch company and pulls information from certain sockets. During the night, somehow disconnects and it is difficult to prove if it is the interface or the Switch company responsible. I had the suggestion to install sniffers to do some network check, but it is very difficult to use and interpret the packages we get. Does somebody know this tool and how to use it? Is there any filter I can set to see from which side the disconnection took place?

Thanks
Giuliano

In your other thread, you asked what a port number is. Now in this thread, you want to use a sniffer to debug a network problem.

You're not ready to do that yet. To get from here to there, you're going to need to read some books or take some classes or something.

A great book to start with would be TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume I by Richard Stevens.

what kind of sniffer are you using? if you are using tcpdump, 'man tcpdump.' there is a windows application called sniffer pro. it is very easy to configure and filter out stuff that you don't want.