Esc-k and command history

Good afternoon, I am an Oracle DBA that is a bit stumped on the sudo and viewing historical commands. In the past on solaris 10 we would all first use our own username and password to putty to our unix box. Then in our /home/"my username"/.profile file it is setup to use sudo -u oracle for us to be able to utilize the oracle account on the unix box. When we did if we ever did esc-k we would only see our own command history. Now on Solaris 11 it seems that we see everyone's history commands when we perform exactly the same steps as before. Any clue on where and why this has changed? Also any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks.

Everyone's history is appearing in the same account? That's a bit odd. Is everyone using the same account?

Is this a mis-type? For me, sudo -u oracle would try to run the trailing command as user oracle, but you seem to not have one.

Do you actually sudo -u oracle bash or something else? If you become the user oracle then you will share the command history unless there is something in a profile that changes the history file pointer to be based on the real user on the Solaris 10 server.

On the old server, what exactly do you do?

What is the value of $HISTFILE on the old & new servers when you are being oracle?

I hope that this helps,
Robin

yes i am sorry i left out the part of ksh. When you echo $HISTFILE it returns blank on both so it is not set. I don't want the history file to be pointed back to Solaris 10 i just each to have its own history. So if after i run sudo -u oracle ksh and then execute a file to run the . /home/oracle/.profile can i put a command to point back to my own history file?

In bash , there's a variable $SUDO_USER which you might want to evaluate. Not sure how this works in ksh , though.

Check to see what oracle's default shell is -Look in /etc/passwd

grep oracle /etc/passwd

Let us know - it should be ksh88.