Error while booting the os

ater successfully completeing my solaris 10 installation
i am not able boot the machine properly .
my machine is continously rebooting after switching on the machine.
what the problem ? is it the boot process problem or some other
if any body got the solution mail it my email id

what hardware? what is the output of console?

the hardware what i am useing is intel platform
945 motherboard of intelchip set
Celeron 1.60GHZ
2 GB ram
240 scsi disk

Hi,

Problems like this are hard to solve without console errors, or more detail.

Go into more detail regarding the reboot. Do you get to see the kernel loading ? The name of the Eprom ? Does the server panic, then reboot ? What errors do you see , if any?

If you were to put the solaris dvd into the dvd player, does the server boot, albeit into miniroot / install mode ?

Details man ! We need more details :slight_smile:

SBK

i have successfully completed the installation in the interactive desktop method.
after completeing the installation i am not able to get login screen.
i havent got any error during or after installation.
and i have selected entire development software during installation

again, where is the problem? any error messages? is there console login screen?

Lol, I think he already said he's not getting any error messages, and that the problem is that it's rebooting by itself, and he doesn't get a log in screen.

But Ravinder, you do still need to say what is the output of your console. What do you see on the screen during the whole process?

sbk suggested to try to boot from the dvd- did you try that?

yes gentleman i have tried the installation number of times with both type of media [ cd,s & dvd ].
actually whats happening let me tell you people in the boot process the first level is hardware boot.
second it is os bootloader.third is init process and finally mingetty program[login screen].if i am not wrong.
ok so what is happening is first stage & second stage is completeing well but third stage is not able take perform. because of it my machine is rebooting continously.
according to me i think it is etc/inittab erroor.if i can get any console i would have tried to change the level of booting runlevel,s.please help me out dear friends

Morning Ravinder,

I so feel your pain here, these sort of problems are hard to fix, and harder to diagnose over a web forum.

Ok, so........ During the boot up stage you will see certain logs / messages displayed to the console. You will see messages regarding kernel loading, mounting of filesystems, etc etc. Is there any way you can cut / paste these for us ?

Next, if the server keeps rebooting on the innit tab errors, have oyu tired to boot into single user mode first ? or even done a boot -a to let you enter where to find files / etc etc ?

I must admit, Im not a x86 / intel guy, Im a good old SPARC hardware person myself :slight_smile:

Try to get us some sort of idea what is loading / mounting, or what, if any, are even mention of whats happenning. Try boot'ing into single user mode, and let us know what happens.

Failing all this, as its a fresh install, I would try and re-install the OS again, this time being careful what you install, and what machine relating configuration you use.

Try your best my friend, its difficult for you, and us to move along on this one, so for time reasons, and as its a fresh install, I would probably just reinstall the OS

SBK

I'm not an x86 person either, but I find it hard to believe that a box is just going to reboot itself over and over again without some sort of message or error being displayed, unless you have an rc script in /etc/rc3.d that says "init 6". Even then, you are going to get a message in the console.

The only time I've seen reboots not leave any sort of discernible message trace is with faulty power supplies, when the power supply "flickers" and causes the OS to crash instantly,and even then, I got some half-inputs in the logs for messages from processes that were being written at the time of the power failure.

at lease provide us the errors(u think) from the console.. we might be able to help you.
halt the system and boot it to failsafe mode. perform a filesystem check on it.

I've had this problem on an x86 box before where after mirroring the disks the box then went into a rebooting loop. The reason this was happening was due to the BIOS not pointing to the correct device to boot from, should of been pointing at the RAID controller. This may be worth looking at in your situation to check that it is trying to boot from the correct device.