Error when loading

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Open SUSE and after the installation it will not boot. At first I thought it could be something wrong with the setup so I re-installed. Then it would still fail on the boot. When trying to boot in safe mode these are the last few lines just before it just sits there and does not do a thing apart from a blinking line.

udevd-event[948]: run_program: '/sbin/hwup' abnormal exit
udevd-event[949: run_program: '/sbin/hwup' abnormal exit
udevd-event[1116]: run_program: '/lib/udev/path_id' abnormal exit
udevd-event[1117]: run_program: '/sbin/hwup' abnormal exit
udevd-event[1118]: run_program: '/sbin/hwup' abnormal exit

Just wondering if anyway has any idea's with what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance if you can help :slight_smile:

What are you installing it on? What spec does it have?

What boot manager/loader are you using?

Does Linux share the disk with any other OS?

What size disks, what partitions did you use?

What size swap file?

It's a old Dell box I was given....

2.4Ghz Intel
40GB HDD
64MB Geforce card
1GB RAM

Booting with Grub

Linux is the only OS on the system.

Not 100% on what I made the slice sizes as but it's like 15GB /root and 20GB /home and swap is at 1.4GB.

Looks like it's been seen before...

SUSE Forums > After Install, First Boot Hangs...

they seem to think it's refering to hot-swappable devices.

Have you had any success with other distributions?

No I got no hot swap devices though USB ... well everything USB these days...lol... might try a PS2 keyboard though...

OK makes it past (just) where it did before... but then complains a heap regarding other things... same type of errors though with the cdrom_id, ata_id, oath_id, idedma_sh, and a few lines on the HWUP stuff

Look like I might try another distro and see what that says...

I'll post back in about 1 hour...

ok then... well I think I know the problem... it's the hardware... must not like something with the hardware setup...

Ubuntu fails... when starting the install the progress bar (as to say) well just stop... can't get into verbose mode as I've tried all keys before it stops but wont go into verbose mode to see where it's stopping... :mad:

I would check all cables etc, reseat ram chips, is the IDE drive on an 80 wire ribbon or the old 40 wire, etc.

Throw Windows at it or NetBSD to isolate the problem.

Thanks for the help...

But instead I just swapped HDD's with another PC which I haven't gotten around to installing the OS on again...

All loads fine with this other system, so I'll just use that... Specs are teh same just about :slight_smile: