Error unmounting a remote mounted file system

Hi All,

I'm facing an issue while trying to unmount a remotely mounted file system, strangely it's not even getting mounted, Kindly find the reply messages.

Mounting error msg

nfsmnthelp: 1831-019 <Server host>: Cannot mount a file system that is already remotely mounted.
mount: 1831-008 giving up on:
Cannot mount a file system that is already remotely mounted.

Unmounting error msg

unmount: 0506-347 Cannot find anything to unmount.

If any one knows please help.

Regards
Abhishek

I would start by looking at the output of

mount

command and

cat /etc/filesystems

Hi,

When i check at the provided path, I see a number of Process IDs which pertain to a number of SAP and ORA processes, I cant kill the processes as it's a active in use server.

Is there another way of doing this?

Regards
Abhishek

---------- Post updated at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:11 AM ----------

Ok will do that thanks !!

To be on the safe side, umount it when you get a downtime for the applications on it.
While the processes are still using this mount, are you sure you may umount it? Just out of curiosity and to make sure.
If you get a downtime for the applications and can umount it, you may also check /etc/rmtab if the entry is still in there, as this is maintained by mountd, to remember mounts after a crash and sometimes problems can occure if it is still in there but not needed anymore.

Hi,

I basically need to mount this file system as my Offline backup is fired to this fs.I have created a cron script which created a file into this file system where the savevg backup is stored. As this FS is neither getting mounted nor unmounted my backups are failing.

This is just a try to check if i manually unmount this filesystem, it may mount through the script and the backup will complete.

Infact i was thinking about the same solution that you have suggested, but i was a little hesitant as I'm a little new to this. If you feel like suggesting any thing, I would be more that happy to look into it.

Regards
Abhishek

just mount the filesystem under another path and adapt your backup scripts till you get the downtime

This sounds a bit confusing, so I'll try to reword your problem.
You try to mount a nfs-filesystem located on a remote server. The mount command already fails with the errormessage "Cannot mount a file system that is already remotely mounted". The remote filesystem is not mounted.
When you try to umount the (not mounted) remote filesystem you get the message "0506-347 Cannot find anything to unmount".
Is this correct?

A filesystem that is not mounted can not be unmounted and the error will not show up when you succeed in mounting before trying to umount.

What type of filesystem is this filesystem on the remote server? Is it possible that this remote server mounted that filesystem as a remote nfs-share itself?

Hi Funksen,

I tried to do that too but it gives the following error.

#  mount sapsolman:/commbkp /Shared_BKP_fs
nfsmnthelp: 1831-019 sapsolman: Cannot mount a file system that is already remotely mounted.
mount: 1831-008 giving up on:
sapsolman:/commbkp
Cannot mount a file system that is already remotely mounted.

Regards,
Abhishek.

---------- Post updated at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:27 PM ----------

Hi Cero,

That is correct, agreeing to your point, I too feel that if a file system is not mounted then i cannot umount it, however it is not even mounting
When i have checked in the source server (where the FS exists) the type of FS is

FS :- sapsolman:/commbkp
Mounted on :- /commbkp
Type of FS :- nfs3

This was checked through SMIT.

Regards
Abhishek

/Shared_BKP_fs is a different mountpoint?

try to remove your fs from /etc/filesystems

(rmfs /filesystemname, or delete it with an editor if that wont work)

and remount it over another path

(save /etc/filesystems or the stanza for your filesystem first)

Hi funksen,

Yes Shared_BKP_fs is a different mount point, originally I was trying to mount at commbkp mount point.

I checked in etc/filesystem no such entry exists for

'/commbkp'

I wont be able to attach the entire output, but as checked by me I was not able to see any entries with the name

/commbkp

or by the name

sapsolman:/commbkp

in the filesystems file.

Regards.
Abhishek.:frowning:

strange,

you can try to restart nfs services

stopsrc -g nfs
startsrc -g nfs

Hi,

Do i need to stop the application and database before executing these commands? also i want to know where can i find all the process id's pertaining to a specific filesystem.

Regards
Abhishek

if this is the only nfs mounted filesystem your application is using, and if this server does not share nfs directories itself, then you can run these commands safely

clean way is to see what services are running:

lssrc -g nfs
Subsystem         Group            PID          Status 
 biod             nfs              2818186      active
 rpc.statd        nfs              6291692      active
 rpc.lockd        nfs              5636344      active
 nfsd             nfs                           inoperative
 rpc.mountd       nfs                           inoperative
 nfsrgyd          nfs                           inoperative
 gssd             nfs                           inoperative

for example

and just restart them