error in locking .Xauthority file

Here is my scenario

The applications that I want to run are on Linux Server [NFS] and the client machines [CIFS] that are having problem in locking the .Xauthority files are Macs which share the same domain as that of client solaris machine. i.e. The home directory of particular user on Solaris & the home directory of that user on Mac have same contents.

When I ssh -X from Solaris to the server, everything works fine, no error messages.
When I ssh -X from MACs to the server, I get the following warning messages.

/usr/X/bin/xauth: error in locking authority file /home/user/.Xauthority

/usr/X/bin/xauth is the path on the server. If I try to break the lock by sudo /usr/X/bin/xauth -b quit, I get the following error

xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/user/.Xauthority

When I ssh -X from any my MacBookPro to the server,

Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.

I have checked sshd_config on both the server and the Mac clients, there is nothing that seems wrong, but if you guys have insights then please share.

---

Deleting .Xauthority files work, but thats not a good solution. I mean, everytime I have to run any X forwarding application I have to delete the .Xauthority file

mkxauth(1): create/merge .Xauthority files - Linux man page might help!

1 Like

-bump-

Thanks DGPickett .. but it doesnt works :frowning:

Well, can you get all other users off .Xauthority on all hosts where your $HOME is mounted?

Thanks for you reply.

I got this solved. The solution seems very silly and I should had checked long ago.

Solution: I updated the version of X11 app on the client MAC to the latest and it stopped creating those .Xauthority-c files.

---

If it helps, with the older version of the X11 apps, I was able to get it done by unchecking the �Enable Authentication� from the preferences of X11 app.