Error attempting to run alsamixer

I am working on an embbeded system. On the system in /usr/bin there are a host of programs one of which is called alsamixer. I want to use this utility but whenever I try to run any alsamixer commands I get and error message:

Error opening terminal: vt100

Anyone ever seen this error before or know how to deal with it?

You probably want to see/verify your current terminal configuration.
echo $TERM
will display this

Now, I am not sure whether that error message is telling you that you ARE using VT100, or that you want VT100.
So, if not returning VT100 from above command, you may want to set to VT100.
If you are already VT100, more research needed to learn what terminal mode is expected.

1 Like

Interesting echo $TERM shows that I am currently on vt100. I quick Google search doesn't yield any results as to the proper terminal mode but I will keep digging.

Check that you have 'ncurses' installed.
'alsamixer' uses it to work.

Well I don't see any executable's for ncurses. Although, I do have an ncurses directory @ buildroot-2011.02/package/ncurses; however, there is only two files inside of it: Config.in and ncruses.mk. Has this directory been gutted or does that sound correct?

AFAIK, it is a library and has no executable.
As I use OSX 10.14.x then I can't tell you where it lies but it seems, and I am guessing here, that the library is not being seen by your embedded system or it has the wrong filename for the alsamixer version you are using.
You could more <each_filename> and see what you can find from either of those two files and try man ncurses too.

Embedded Linux systems sometimes don't end up with usable terminals on boot. How to fix this would be up to your distribution usually. What is it?

Ubuntu 16.04 is the distribution of my PC. Are you wondering what the version of the kernel on the embedded device is? The kernel version on the device is: 2.6.35.14

I am wondering not just the kernel of the embedded device, but what software is running on it!

U-Boot 2009.08 - dub-1.5.2.1 - GCC 4.4.6 - DigiOpenGL - crosstool-ng-1.20.0

So, no init system or anything? Your terminal probably hasn't been set up. This is a surprisingly tricky bit of "magic" done with a special syscall which we're for the most part happy to let some linux distribution do for us.

One workaround for it, funny enough, could be ssh-ing into your device. A virtual terminal should be close enough.

I was sure that busybox had a utility for it, and their faq turns out to have that and a better explanation what it does:

2 Likes