EPTS4: Small, big, and bigger Use Cases

vincent
09-19-2008 06:55 PM
Pedro Bizarro (Univ of Coimbra in Portugal) reported on the EPTS Use Case workgroup he co-chaired with Dieter Gawlick (Oracle CQL author). Their penultimate use case questionnaire runs to 52 questions, which they think is more than sufficient (or as Pedro said, �for some people, size matters�).

Next up were some uses cases using said template (currently available only to registered users of the EPTS web site):

• Alex from Betfair started the ball rolling with their fraud / �unfair use� usecase. An example of this is detecting where someone cancels a bet in advance of everyone else, because perhaps they have insider-based early access to information. This led to a spirited discussion with the capitalists in the audience who thought that �gaining an edge� was surely just part of the game (possibly missing that the betting exchange name is �Bet Fair�). Alex also presented a page of streaming SQL with the complaint that such an approach was unmaintainable (no arguments there).
  • Arkady from Mitre then invented the meeting catchphrase, �spatio-temporal hyperspectral multi-resolution data grid�, for his description of applying CEP to data grids for operational analytics and event warehouses. He commented that this was a work in-progress, but I would have preferred to have seen the domain use case (i.e. what sorts of data and what sorts of event processing), not just the idea.
  • Brian Connell (WestGlobal) actually presented a nice Mobile Operator Performance Monitor (i.e. BAM application), presenting it in the use case format. This provided operational intelligence for real-time views and decisions, sitting on top of TIBCO middleware as it happened.
  • Dieter (Oracle) presented a �First Responder� application, which seemed like it might be a candidate for one of David Luckham�s �holistic event processing� applications. This apparently used (or would use) SensorML and NIEM with Common Alerting Protocol. This would use things like weather events to determine accurate evacuation orders during catastrophes.
  • Guy Sharon from IBM Haifa [*1] presented on a use case for �Preservation and Maintenance Facility Safety�, namely using RFID to track-and-trace personnel and equipment and determine �unsafe situations�.
  • Richard Tibbetts (Streambase) presented on Alternative Trading Systems (aka Dark Pool trading or Crossing Engine - which is simply doing in-brokerage trades with existing liquidity, while complying with normal market regulations, SLAs and pricing). Trades must still be completed within 10-15ms, but �indications of interest� are allowed for �possible buys�. They have 3 such customer cases with 1 actually deployed. Richard also used the use case format, so full marks there.

Notes:

[1] IBM certainly outdid everyone else with their support for the EPTS meeting. There was the Amit R&D project, System S stream processor, Aptsoft, and Standards teams. With apologies to any IBM group I may have missed�

Source...