Enye issue filenaming and path

Hi All,

Is there anyone encounter filenaming with

Ñ or ñ

reading?.
Is the any other way to handle enye both redhat environment and java?

We look in the log and founfout reading pathname or filename with enye Ñ, look like

MONTA?O instead of MONTAÑO

We tried to transfer files from my windows to linux server via scp with filename MONTAÑO.txt and access thru putty issuing

ll

command and I got ouput

MONTA?O.txt

Is there any idea on how to handle this issue?

We hope that if we can fixed in linux environment, already googling but no luck to find in related issues

looks to me like the character set is either not installed on the linux box for your language or there are some other encoding differences between the unix and the linux box. Ideally you should only use ascii characters in filenames to avoid this kind of problems or they get lost in translation across platforms.

Thanks for the reply. I agree sir to use ascii, but we can't change the filename because our application read in filename.

I would add to zxmaus comment that windows does not use ascii natively except when fiddling in a ascii text terminal... windows tends to use a MS... UTF(X) that looks like something between UTF8 and UTF16, I had some (hmmm many...) cases of that sort of data corruption in files coming from other sources and language, and had to correct to the best using some awk and lots of sed... and never sure I will not get another unknown variant...
So avoid using such characters when dealing with file names, variables or in paths...

On Linux you can list your current "locale" with command

locale

The installed/available locales you can list with

locale -a

Then set an appropriate locale, for example

export LC_ALL=es_ES.utf8

and check again

locale