enterprise backup solution

We are using sun_sparc solaris 2.5.1 with oracle database 8.0.5

We are considering to buy for buying backup software for this purpose .

Our systems integrator says veritas could not be installed due to some technical reasons (they are veritas authorised dealer) . And is suggesting Netvault from Bakbone .

Does anybody have any experience with Bakbone . Any idea wrt market share of Veritas/Bakbone .

Should we persist in asking for Veritas.

i have never known of anyone who couldnt use Veritas.

i would ask specificly why he thinks you shouldnt use it.

other then that.

there is always teh good old FREE ufsdump and database dump utilities that come with solaris and oracle.

It may be that to use the latest versions of Veritas, Legato, or probably any other major seller of backup software the version of Solaris he has on the system would need to be upgraded.

Veritas and Legato support Solaris 2.6 and above on their latest release. Whether he could purchase an older version that supports 2.5.1 is hard to say.

Legato compatibility pdf file

Veritas

SUN - Veritas requirement (bottom of page)

(Time to hit e-bay and pick up an old copy?)

We are currently running Netbackup 3.4GA. Our previous version of Netbackup supported 2.5. And the 2.5 clients still work.

We have some 2.5.1 boxes. We just called them 2.5 in the Netbackup setup. We cannot push the software to 2.5.1 box. We never could. But if we install the 2.5 software manually, it seems to work. But it was a little rough getting this to work.

You may be able to get the 2.5 client software from Netbackup. You may be able to type "Solaris 2.5" in the "Hardware, OS" field when you create a new client. Then manually install the old 2.5 client software on your 2.5.1 box and it may work.

There are a of a "may"'s there... And we have not deployed a new 2.5 or 2.5.1 box since the Netbackup arrived. Still, I suspect that a Netbacup guru together with a SunOS guru could probably get this done.

But even the version of Netbackup that supported 2.5 had a little bit of trouble with 2.5.1.