Egrep ERE to find null

Hello All,
My apologies if a similar question has already been posted. I searched for "grep", "egrep" and "null"

I'm having an issue with egrep and an extended regular expression.
I'm doing a test for a job name. I would like to have the user enter a job name with no spaces and also test to make sure that they don't accidently hit the return key too fast.
My code:

echo "Please enter a job name (no spaces): "
read jobname
#  ***test not working*** while [`echo $jobname | egrep '(" "|"^$")' | wc -l -gt 0 ]; do

while [`echo $jobname | grep " " | wc -l -gt 0 ] || [`echo $jobname | grep "^$" | wc -l -gt 0 ]; do   # working
echo "Please enter a new job name (NO spaces): "
read jobname
done

The command egrep '(" "|"^$")' isn't working!!! It doesn't give any errors but it never goes through the while statement from any test.
Thanks in advanced!!

It is safer to have while not followed by the "okay" expression.
The following ensures there is only and at least one non-blank characters:

while ! echo "x$jobname" | egrep '^x[^[:blank:]]+$' >/dev/null
do
 echo "Please enter a new job name (NO spaces): "
 read jobname
done

The quotes are necessary for safety. Also further references should quote "$jobname".
The x is for additional safety, e.g. to escape a user input "-n" that has a special meaning in echo.
More strict is to test for at least one alphanumeric character:

while ! echo "x$jobname" | egrep '^x[[:alnum:]]+$' >/dev/null
#! /bin/bash

echo "Enter job name:"
read x

while [ 1 ]
do
    echo $x | egrep -q "^$|^ *$"
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]
    then
        echo "No blank lines or spaces. Enter job name:"
        read x
    else
        break
    fi
done

echo $x

There's not just one but many easy ways to test with pure shell builtins:

if [ -z "$VARTOTEST" ] || [ "$VARTOTEST" = " " ]
then
        echo "$VARTOTEST empty or one space"
fi
case "$VARTOTEST" in
) echo "blank" ;;
 ) echo "one space" ;;
*) echo "not blank" ;;
esac
VAR=""
case X in $VARTOTEST ; do VAR="$X" ; done
if [ -z "$VAR" ]
then
        echo "$VARTOTEST is blank, or one or more spaces"
fi
set -- $VARTOTEST

if [ -z "$1" ]
then
        echo "$VARTOTEST blank, or one or more spaces"
fi

And these are just the pure bourne ways. If I knew you had bash or ksh I could suggest simpler ways using their string operations.

while [`echo $jobname | grep " " | wc -l -gt 0 ] || [`echo $jobname | grep "^$" | wc -l -gt 0 ]; do  # working

Are you sure that is "working"? The backticks starts before echo, but they don't stop. Compare:

while [`echo $jobname | grep " " | wc -l` -gt 0 ] || [`echo $jobname | grep "^$" | wc -l` -gt 0 ]; do  # working

Thanks!!

This is what I ended up using that works

while [`echo $jobname | egrep '^[^[:blank:]]+$' | wc -l -gt 0 ]; do

MadeInGermany: I'm unaware of what the "x" in your example does. I'm not asking for a long winded explanation, although you may. If you don't mind give me a viable resource where I may read up on that functionality!

balaisuri: thanks for helping. I did try the ERE of "^$|^ *$" and it didn't work at least not on my system. it catches null but doesn't catch a line with a space.

Corona688: Thanks for the many responses. I'll have to wait till I have more time to go through your methods.

That's way too convoluted. It may "work", but it's too confusing to put into long-term source code. And it is grammatically incorrect, as I pointed out before. I would look at the other suggestions that were made, as you indicated you want to do.

The main thing is the "quotes".
Please run the script, enter a * and see what happens...

echo -n x

suppresses line feed
Therefore the escape with

echo x-n x

But actually not needed when quoted

echo "-n x"

You don't need back-ticks and count the output characters if you take the exit status from egrep, as in my example.

---------- Post updated at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:05 PM ----------

while ! can be written as until

until echo "$jobname" | egrep '^[^[:blank:]]+$' >/dev/null
do