Editing motd

Hie.
Im having a problem editing the motd ( message of the day ). I tried to edit the file /etc/motd but its end up with nothing. I find out the directory /etc/motd is in rw- r - r i changed it to executable rwxw-rw-r but having same thing no changes in the motd.
Anyone having any idea how to inform my others that Login on the days motd ( security messages ). Pls advise.

Rgds
KillerServ

The permissions on the file were correct before you changed them (if you are running Solaris).

As far as getting nothing into the file, check the ownership. Make sure you are root when you edit the file. If you can't seem to edit the file, then you can always copy contents of one file to it (cp ./mynew.motd /etc/motd ) as root. Insure you check that the permissions are correct afterwards.

thehghunter,
thanx for the reply, anyway i am the root on that machine. Its running Linux 7.2 ( 2.4.7 ). I did change the permission for thefile /etc/motd to read write (755). But even after editing the files i unable to see any progress in it. Now there is seems no change after i edit it.. Any idea... or suggestion perhaps..

Can you post the output of a ls -l /etc/motd ?