Easiest way to highlight multiple words in vi/vim/less in linux centos 7?

Please don't exclude me from linux group because i use centos 7. :smiley:
I'm wondering if there's a quick way to do this? Most of the things I've researched in stackoveflow tell me to install some extra scripts, and I don't like that. Any guidance on how to do this easily?
I tried
/\vstring_1|string_2
but it didn't work

@Ihattaren , you need to do more reading and experimenting rather than always posting here for trivial help - especially when you state you've already searched other forums ( on which I found many reasonable answers to this), anyways ... try the below

NB: These applications are independent of the distro (unless in exceptional circumstances! - of which I currently am unaware of any XXXX distro centric versions)

vim /\(ipsum\|deserunt\|nisi\)
less (posix) - /ipsum|deserunt|nisi

tested on

cat ipsum.txt
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

NB: there's also a built in help system in vim - :help ....

thanks, I'll only ask questions after I've spent a day trying them from now onwards.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.