Duplicating ethernet speed

Hi guys,

Suppose you have a server with two ethernet cards (1GB each) and each cards are connecting to two different switches cisco 3750. My question is:

How can I setup my server's network interfaces to increase the throughput up to 2GB? is it possible? If not, do you know another way to up to 2GB the ethernet speed?

regards,
Israel.

Here's the issues you will face:

They are Gigabits, not Gigabytes (Gb vs GB). That is an 8x difference.

Also. Even with good Cat5e or Cat6 cable, you will not get a full gigabit of throughput. If you want more, go with specialized 10Gbe network adapters and switches or move to fiber.

Secondly, if you want to double speed, you need to bond/etherchannel the NICs. Google for this, as it will make more sense than I can in a scope I am not as intimately familiar with as you may find elsewhere.

Hi mark54g,

Sorry but I meant Gb instead GB..:-).
I'm now searching the web for bond the NICs using my switches cisco.. thanks for your answer.

regards,
Israel.

---------- Post updated at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:11 PM ----------

Hi guys, I think the best choice is to setup on the linux server bonding 802.3ad (mode 4) and on the cisco switch LACP on the two ports used by the server. Look this URL Brightbox Blog - Ruby on Rails Hosting � HowTo do Ethernet Bonding on Ubuntu � Properly

thanks tons.

regards,
Israel.

That should work. I apologize, but while I have a general understanding of the concepts, I am not great with things that go to the networking level in that detail.