Duh, can I quit an ssh connection withOUT stopping a program running?

here's the sitch:

remote freeBSD device. I am ssh'd in as root and running cgsecurity's TESTDISK program. Testdisk will take DAYS to scan this multi-terabyte RAID. Can I quit my terminal or ssh connection, disconnect from the remote computer, come back to it later and NOT stop or interrupt the program running on the remote machine? And when I log back in, can I re-access the interface of the program?

If it were a brief app, I'd just experiment and see, but this is day 3 of a 7-day scan!

Thanks for the newbie help!

nohup

screen

Danmero Thanks!

BUT

It looks like nohup has to be used when the app/process is started, and I'm in the middle of a recover, not starting it.

Is there a way to shut down my terminal session withOUT stopping the running process on the remote computer, and a way that I can return to see the results of that process (testdisk updates the terminal screen as it scans cylinders, etc)?

TIA

---------- Post updated at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:56 PM ----------

Thanks Pludi,

looks like screen also needs to be up adn going before the process is running, but it will help in the future!

---------- Post updated at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:59 PM ----------

I want to be clear in describing what I am doing, so here goes again:

I fired up a terminal session in Mac OS X

then ssh'd into a remote device:

Then got the freeNAS prompt:

I then installed Testdisk (MY FIRST UNIX INSTALL!!!) from the ports

Next I ran testdisk:

and got the testdisk interface:

Selected my options and got the scan going....

Now I am waiting while a lovely and simple text screen rolls through thousands of blocks an hour, stuck. Unable (I THINK) to disconnect from the remote device without interrupting testdisk.

Am I stuck this time?

Thanks!!