Dual Boot on HP-UX

Hy all

Does anyone have Info on how to make a dual boot
HP UX 10-20
HP UX 11

on a server ?

Thanks in advance

Olivier

To my knowledge, this can only be done if you have one of the new boxes, either the Superdome SD26000, Matterhorn RP7410, Keystone RP8400 servers which have the ability to have multiple partitions each with an instance of the Same or Different OSs on them. It is called "cell-based" technology and is new architecture to these 3 systems. You can learn more about it by going to http://docs.hp.com website and search for "Cell" or "superdome" to see the docs that are there. HP posts virtually all of its documentation on this site for public consumption.

None of the previous versions of Hardware before support this partitioning.

However, These versions mentioned above of HP Systems only support 11.0 or 11.i, 11.20 versions of the HPUX operating system.

So with that in mind, the answer to your question is "no".

You could have 2 different disks on the same box that you could boot from one or the other but you would have to specify the hardware path each time you would manually boot up. I don't think you can create an autoboot function to have a window to select one or the other. You would have to boot and manually change the path each time.

:cool:

I have done the above and with 10.20 as well as 11.00. HP hardware has a notion of a primary and secondary boot path. Usually you have the secondary set to the cd drive. But you can set the secondary to the other disk. With autoboot on, the box will boot from the primary unless you interrupt the boot sequence and specify the other disk. I think that this works well enough that I would answer the original question "yes".

But I don't work much with pc's. Do pc's have a notion of "dual boot" that would exclude the above? In my mind "dual boot" simply means that you can two os's. Does "dual boot" imply something more in the pc world?

thankx, i'll try today