Downloading FTP Files

Hi every one,
I have the requirement to download the files from FTP and move those files to unix box. Once after coping the files, i need to remove the files in FTP.
I'm a newbie in Unix script. Can you please suggest a script for this.. Thanks in advance..

ftp is a program to exchange (send or receive) files from another computer system. So, you do not get from an ftp - but rather write commands for ftp to get files.

So, what I think you are trying to do is:

From your unix computer
have a script to

start the ftp program
open a connection to another computer
(this must accept ftp; you might need to enable this)
get a file
(if allowed) remove the original file
close your connection 
close the ftp program

Is this what you are looking to do?

Thanks for the input Joe..

As you said i can tie up the ftp server with the local unix server. Since 'm going to run the script in unix server only. I'm stucking up when i need to read the files in that folder (Since there is no constant file name) and copy those files in unix server path.

#!/bin/ksh
#ftp script filename:
print "script begins"
host='xxxx'
USER='xxxx'
PASSWORD='xxxx'
ftp -ndiv "${host}" << EOF
user $USER $PASSWORD
cd ftp file path ##path where files are present in the FTP path ####
get ftp files ####file name which should be extracted####
bye
EOF
print "script copied files from data from FTP to Server"

---------- Post updated at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:47 PM ----------

Thanks Joe.. As you instructed i tried with command and replicated the same in the script.. it works fine.

But i 'm using mget *.* to download the files and putting into my unix box. As far as my requirement i have single file in that unix folder path. How to change the name of the file to a user defined file name. Please suggest. Thanks..