Downloading and installing (new to Ubuntu OS)

I've done a whole days work of researching how to install a program on ubuntu.. so first I downloaded python.. unpackaged it from .tar.xz now its just python-3.4.2 then I navigated to the dir in terminal.. then ran the ./configure make make test sudo make install commands which took like 10 minutes on my ultra fast broadband .. scanning all the files etc.. now thats all finished how do I open python? it seems like nothing has changed ? anyone please

Hi Marniwild,

why did you install python from scratch? Use the packagemanager if you can.
apt-get or aptitude

example:

apt-cache search python #for python 2.x

or

apt-cache search python3 #for python 3.x

It is much easier and faster.

Don't forget to run
apt-get update first. This will get the newest packagedescriptions and update the cache.

Best regards
xabbu

I am new to Ubuntu, but I just downloaded a copy from the Ubuntu site 14.04 LTS. I use Acer Aspire V with 8GB RAM and 1TB hard-disk.I have windows 7 on one partition and the other partition is 300GB which I reserved for Ubuntu. When I boot from USB-HDD to install Ubuntu, I can not see my 300GB partition, instead the Ubuntu is seeing the whole 1TB hard disk. The installation give me three options; 1-to install ubuntu and erase the window 7 and loose all my data on the hard disk. 2.Encrypt the new Ubuntu installation for security and 3. Use LVM with the New Ubuntu installation. Please what is the implication of chosen options 2 OR 3 .