Doubts on SMIT

Hi All,
Have a few doubts on SMIT.

1. Is SMIT available in seperate packages if it is not installed by default with the AIX ?
  2. how to check the smit version.. is there anything of that kind ?
  3. what is the effect of smit.cat file ?
  4. What are all the files present in /etc/objrepos/ filesystem related to SMIT rather how and in what means SMIT uses the /etc/objrepos/ filesystem.

Thanks in advance for the response.

Regards,
Balaji

1. Is SMIT available in seperate packages if it is not installed by default with the AIX ?

bos.sysmgt.smit

---------- Post updated at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:42 AM ----------

1. how to check the smit version.. is there anything of that kind ?

# lslpp -l|grep -i smit

bos.help.msg.en_US.smit 5.3.0.60 COMMITTED SMIT Context Helps - U.S.
bos.net.tcp.smit 5.3.7.1 COMMITTED TCP/IP SMIT Support
bos.sysmgt.smit 5.3.7.1 COMMITTED System Management Interface
Tool (SMIT)

1 Like

Again, is it just me or does this basic question from "BalajiUthira" seem like it is taken from an assignment or text book? Sounds like they are asking us to complete and answer questions for homework.

Not to offend anyone (as I know there are a lot of newbies on this site like myself) but really? What makes me curious is questions 3 and 4:

1. what is the effect of smit.cat file ?
  2. What are all the files present in /etc/objrepos/ filesystem related to SMIT rather how and in what means SMIT uses the /etc/objrepos/ filesystem

What is it you are really intending to ask here?

Anyhow - a thanks to allanwang77 should be given for attempting to answer.

1 Like
  1. what is the effect of smit.cat file ?
    comtains the message catalog for smit(ty)

2. What are all the files present in /etc/objrepos/ filesystem related to SMIT rather how and in what means SMIT uses the /etc/objrepos/ filesystem.

in short words - smit interfaces with / updates the ODM

regards
zxmaus

1 Like

Thanks all for the response. actually we are in process of a case study on SMIT. upon which we were not able to find some clues about the queries raised. Hence posted it.