Does it have anything wrong about password?

My HP-UX 11.11 in trusted system.

When we use password that have "#"(Ex. aRmnaja#99) it can login only via ssh but can not by telnet yet. But if it doesn't have "#" I can logon via both ssh and telnet.

Have any thing wrong ? (It's a bug of HP-UX server ??)
Anyone have this problem same me ?
(if you don't know, you can try it.)

Thanks,
aRm_nAja:eek:

From my humble experience ... here I go & stick my neck out :D:D

You can have the '#' symbol as part of a password, but when entering it you need you type '\#' to avoid it being treated as a metacharacter (All - Please correct me if I'm wrong with my explaination here).

So if your password is "aRmnaja#99", you may need to actually type in "aRmnaja\#99".

Hope that helps. :wink:

I searched the HP-UX forum looking for "password character" and look what popped up: cannot telnet HP-UX with NIS account

Perderabo, not withstanding the link you provided.
Was my reply correct in any way ?

Cheers,
Cameron

I test more for anyone to know :slight_smile:
When I test login (not su) If my password is "aRmnaja#99"

My HP-UX 11.11
by telnet works for "aRmnaja\#99" only
by ssh works for "aRmnaja#99" only
My SUN Solaris 8
by telnet works for both "aRmnaja\#99" and "aRmnaja#99"
by ssh works for both "aRmnaja\#99" and "aRmnaja#99"

Anyone comment ?
aRm_nAja

If your password is a#b and you type a\#b or a#b different things happens because different programs read the password string and different programmers had different ideas about how to handle it. But when the HP-UX program called "login" is the program reading the password, and the kernel is configured the way HP supplies it, you are guaranteed to be unable to use a password containing # or @.

To distill that link down, on HP-UX, do not use # or @ in your password. If you violate this rule, sometimes you will not be able to enter your password.

With recent versions of HP-UX, a system administrator who understands the info I linked can reconfigure the tty driver to alter this behavior. But most people don't do this. If you write a start-up script to change the behavior and then use # or @ in root's password, root cannot login until after the script runs.

Thanks for the explaination Perderabo.

Cheers,
Cameron.

Thanks for more comment Perderabo

aRm_naja#