Does a network switch behaves as webserver

Hi,

I have a question on web servers and network switches.

Why a network switch should support certificate management, that means generating public and private keys... installing a certificate etcetra.

Regards
Chaitanya. :b:

Where did you get that from?
A switch is a network device, a web server (HTTP Server) is an application, they're totally different and behave totally different.

Normal switches work at OSI layer 2 (Data Link), but there are advanced switches which work at OSI layer 3 (Network), which means they can "understand" IP protocol and some routing protocols, but even those switches cannot understand HTTP protocol, which is from OSI layer 7 (Application).

I think you misunderstood some concept or information.

yeah i guess i have misunderstood some concept.

A network switch can be controlled from a web-browser through web-management interface. So a network switch should support http for that purpose.

What i am confused now is why it requires public key and private key generations and other certificate related stuff.

Please help me on the same.

a network switch may, optionally, have a management interface. such an interface may use public/private keypairs for authentication. some switch-like network devices may also use authentication to restrict access to ports (often via the Radius protocol.)

Thank you very much.