Do linux have a device file for ETHERNET CARD.

Sir,

Do linux have device file for ethernet card. Can I use open , read , write , system calls to read data transferred through LAN. Is there any methods to read network datas (with out header and tailor information).
Hope anyone can help me out. Thanking you....

Jayanth.S

Are you talking about a filesystem method like NFS or

OFS ?! Welcome to OFS [OFS Wiki]

If you mean something like /dev/hda for harddisks, then no. Network access is done (at a low level) by methods for socket manipulation. There are higher level abstractions for easier access in some libraries.

Could you give an explanation and/or example by what you mean when you say

Hi all,

My requirement is to read network traffic int userlevel . I am using C programming in Centos 5 with 2.6.18 kernel. 

For example can i read the file contents which I copied using SCP . That I want the data part of the network traffic leaving out headers and tailors..Pludi, you said there are some higher level abstractions for easier access in some libraries... What do you mean by that..Where can I look for the same...Please help me out..

I have absolutely no idea what you want to do. Could you give us a good example? Do you want to transfer files, maybe via a secure connection? Or do you want to trace packets in user space, because this isn't possible with high-level abstractions. And what do you mean by header and trailer information?

i'm confused as well...maybe he is talking about socket programming...?