DNS A-Record point to another DNS

Hi,

I have a question on how to point the DNS server-1's A-record to second DNS server, which is DNS server-2. So, the computer can access other domain which only listed in the DNS server-2. The scenario is as follow:

How to configure this in the DNS kernel? Please guide the how-to.

Thanks.

You want DNS forwarders.

DNS HOWTO : Forwarding

Also, DNS is not a "kernel" so I have no idea why you mentioned that. Also your DNS client can have their search string append different domains to the DNS search.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, what I mean is the config not the kernel sorry about that.

"Also your DNS client can have their search string append different domains to the DNS search"

What you mean by the DNS client here? The DNS server-1 or the computer?

---------- Post updated at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:37 AM ----------

It is known as A-record?

It depends on what operating system that the client uses. The resolv.conf on Linux can contain a set of domains to append, in order, when searching for non FQDN names in the lookup.

Windows has a similar construct, but I am unsure of how that is implemented.

Normal resolve behavior is to try DNS servers in resolv.conf until one responds... it's not a DNS smasher or union/fallback mechanism.

You might be able to use something like dnsmasq to specify where to find DNS entries. You can configure it to find entries for one fqdn in one DNS server and entries for a different fqdn in a different DNS server (for example). You can also do alias overrides and such statically or even using entries from /etc/hosts. Maybe that will help (?)