DISPLAY not set

Hi,

When i invoke DBCA as oracle user , i get following

usircd01:KAM:/opt/oracle10/product/10.2.0/bin>./dbca 
DISPLAY not set. 
Set DISPLAY environment variable, then re-run. 
usircd01:KAM:/opt/oracle10/product/10.2.0/bin>echo $ORACLE_SID CCE 
usircd01:KAM:/opt/oracle10/product/10.2.0/bin>echo $ORACLE_HOME /opt/oracle10/product/10.2.0
usircd01:KAM:/opt/oracle10/product/10.2.0/bin>echo $ORACLE_PATH ksh: ORACLE_PATH: parameter not set 
usircd01:KAM:/opt/oracle10/product/10.2.0/bin>echo $DISPLAY ksh: 
DISPLAY: parameter not set 
usircd01:KAM:/opt/oracle10/product

My question is what is X session here ? is it something related to X manager ( software) that i need to install in windows ?

OS version -- SunOS 5.10
The server i am using is database server.

Regards,
Maddy

In short, yes. You need to follow the same process for an X-windows display as you did with the installer.

Robin

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you make me understand why i need to install x-manager in windows to open DBCA tool in linux machine ?

What is the relation in between them ?
what is X-windows here ?

Regards,
Maddy

The X-windows client-server relationship seems a bit confused. When you connect to a unix host (you'd normally consider this as your server, because you connect to it) and say "start an X-windows tool", what you are actually doing is starting a client on the unix host that connects to your desktop (i.e. the server part) and draws up the window.

To make your desktop an X-windows server, you need the software installed and the security set to allow the connection. Usually a command to the X-server software host unix.ip.address.here is what you need. You can then (on unix) set the DISPLAY variable to your desktop and the run the X-windows tool, something like:-

export DISPLAY=desktop.ip.address.here:0.0

You can test this with xclock, or perhaps xeyes which is a little more fun.

Does that help?

Robin

1 Like

Easiest way is to install xming(x-server) on your desktop and enable X11 forwarding on your ssh client?(like putty or whatever you use). Then login as your user, check the display is set using echo $DISPLAY ,then run xterm or xclock to check if xwindows is working. Note that you do not have to set the DISPLAY variable manually if you are using xming.

1 Like

Thanks Pandith and Robin for your suggestions.I will follow the same and come back if i face any problem.

Thanks Pandith and Robin for your suggestions. It works for me.:slight_smile: