Disks missing from /devices folder. Not sure why.

Help Please!

I picked up a V440 and it has 4 disks. I installed Solaris fine to disk 3, but I cannot see the other disks in Solaris.

I have run probe-scsi-all from OBP and I see the other disks and they have names in devalias AFAIK. It's just in Solaris they do not appear. I have run devfsadm -v thinking that was the issue, to no avail. From there I looked in "/devices" and I don't see them there either. Just the path for disk3. It's as if Solaris isn't talking to the prom, so I assume I'm missing something. Mind you, I am very rusty at OBP and adding devices. The only thing that gives me pause at the moment is that disk 3 is an hitachi and the other 3 are Seagate. However, I think that's coincidence, if anything. Even so, I would have figured the Hitachi to be the odd one out, not the 3 Seagates. All are 72GB. Any ideas? I assume I'm missing something simple but I'm having trouble formulating the correct google search to find anything meaningful. Help is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg

check the output from raidctl -l

It gives me three lines:

Controller: 1
    Disk: 0.3.0
Controller: 4

seems like no RAID is configured... please run probe-scsi-all again from OBP and post that output!

Ok....attaching screenshots, so hopefully that works. I made sure to set auto-boot to false and reset first so it's a clean OBP. The first screen shot is of the requested probe-scsi-all. The second is devalias, in case that's of any use.

I *think* these are true Sun drives, by the IDs in the probe-scsi-all output, and I think those disk aliases are correct for those slots. There must be some crucial piece of knowledge that I am completely unaware of that bridges this gap.

Looks ok to me... Here is what I would do to check the system:

• boot from cd/dvd and check the format output for all disks (if this works try next point)
  • boot to single user mode from your internal disk

if none of that works:

• update ALL firmware on the machine
  • reseat all drives in their slots (the V440 diskbackplane has some known issues)

Well, DukeNuke2, it appears to be one of these. I re-seated the drives in question and booted from the DVD I used for the O/S install and when I dropped to a prompt it was able to see the drives in the format utility. I relabeled them and booted single user. At that point devfsadm was able to add the paths unlike before and now they are usable under the O/S as expected. :smiley: I didn't know the 440 drive plane was so temperamental! Now I've successfully created my first multi-disk ZFS pool and things are looking good. You were a huge help! :b: Thank you, thank you, thank you!