Disks going full??

Dear All

I have a problem regarding my Solaris 8 OS . This is regarding the space available in my disk.
Although the df -k for /export/home shows 32% capacity I am not able to create any file on the disk.
Again, quot -af shows the same output . I have got directories in my /export/home but they are having
large number of files (around 1,000,000) . Is there a limit to the number of files in a directory and the size of the directory?
Also the /export/home has got around 3GB capacity of which only 32% has been occupied.

Regards
encrypted:)

Hi,

With that many files on the file system chances are that it has run out of inodes.

Check

df -F ufs -o i

and that'll tell you the inode usage on your ufs filesystems.

Cheers
ZB

Hi

I thinks that's quite true . If I look at the output of that command on my system it shows:

97% usage for /export/home.

But, still I have one doubt . I am able to create a file with root access but not as a normal user. Why is this happening??
Also, is there a way by which I can free these inodes other than deleting files which are important .Can a reboot help me??

Thanks,
encrypted:)

hi,

#But, still I have one doubt . I am able to
#create a file with root access but not as
#a normal user. Why is this happening??

there is a default minfree on the filesystem.

#Also, is there a way by which I can free
#these inodes other than deleting files
#which are important
i don't see another way then to create a new fs. the inode table is created while the filesytem is created. next time you have to increase the default inode numbers....

newfs -i nbpi

The number of bytes per inode. This specifies the density of inodes in the file system.
The default for nbpi is as follows:.

Disk size     Density

-1GB          2048
             -2GB          4096
             -3GB          6144
             3GB-          8192

If fewer inodes are desired, a larger number should be used; to create more inodes, a smaller number should be given. The default is 2048.

#Can a reboot help me??
no, thats not windows *hehe*

greetings pressy