Disk space

Can someone tell me how to determine how much disk space has been allocated to me and how much of it I am using?

Thanks in advance.

This depends on several things such which version of unix your site is using and how they are using it.

You may be using a feature called quotas. If so, you type "quota -v" and get all of your answers. But lots of sites don't use quotas. Some versions of unix don't even have the feature at all.

So disk space may be a shared resource. "df -k ." (or for HP-UX, "bdf .") with tell you have much free disk space is left in the filesystem that contains the current directory. And "du -sk ." will tell you how much disk space the current directory is using.

But if you find out that you have say, 12 Gigabytes of free space availiable, that doesn't exactly mean that it's available to you. If you use it all up, no one else will have any space. Your site's policies start to come into play. Before you suddenly use a large amount of disk space, you should discuss this with your System Administrator.