Disk is Full but really does not contain huge data

Hi All,

My disk usage show 100 % . When I check �df �kh� it shows my root partition is full. But when I run the �du �skh /� shows only 7 GB is used.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 30G 28G 260MB 100% /

How I can identify who is using the 20 GB of memory.

Thanks,
Kalai

perhaps this is the problem:
"Also, du can only be used to estimate space consumption for directories and files for which the user has reading permission. Thus, an ordinary user would generally not be able to use du to determine space consumption for files or directories belonging to other users, including those belonging to the root account (i.e., the system administrator). However, as du is used mainly by system administrators, this is usually not a problem. "

(from How to use the du command -- by The Linux Information Project (LINFO) )

I am executing du as root user. so i should have full permission rite?

Quick check for gigantic files:

find // -xdev -type f -size +1G -exec ls -lad {} \;

If that doesn't find it (or them, try a smaller size parameter.

If you have deleted files which are open by an application, you will not get the space back until after the application closes or you reboot the system. They will also be invisible to "find".

if you can boot from livecd or similar to unmount partition, perhaps it would be a good idea to fsck the filesystem. just to be sure its ok.

lsof |awk '/deleted/ && $7>1e6'

for me also similar problem after reboot the server no help
any other way to determine RCA.

Inode usage is 17% only but disk usage is 90% (strange issue)

Also, your command

df -kh

is very inefficient. the -k flag shows kilobytes, while the -h flag shows human readable format (best size).

Choose one.

@venikathir
Please start a new thread, tell us bit more about your system and show evidence of commands typed and their results. Have you tried using find to look for large files? A percentage is meaningless without the figures and purpose of the filesystem. I regularly have filesystems containing fixed size database segments well above 90% full, but if /tmp got that full I would worry.

see for any process related stuff which uses or writes some information in to any hidden file.kill the process or restart it. will work.

No process writes any hidden files. Server rebooted twice, even after reboot also not solved this issue