Disk free space planning for Sol 10 LU

I'm getting ready to start a LU from Sol 9 to Solaris 10. I want to ensure that I have enough disk space for future upgrades. What I don't know is what free space Solaris requires.

If I have 10GB of free space in /opt, will Solaris 10 use that for a LU?

Or, do I need to allocate 10GB of space to one disk slice and just not use it?

Thanks,!!

check out the following links
Solaris Live Upgrade Disk Space Requirements

Solaris Live Upgrade System Requirements

System Requirements and Recommendations

Thanks for the links. I have already read those docs plus a ton more:) and have not found the answer to my question.

Appreciate the resonse!!

You should allocate to one disk slice and just not use it.
Btw, if you can get a downtime to do the upgrade, I suggest you to break mirror, change the boot disk to raw disk and boot cdrom to install, choosing "Upgrade Install"(personally tried it with success, even from Solaris 8 to 10)
http://www.unix.com/he/sun-solaris/112922-upgrade-solaris-10-a-post302328648.html

For future Live Upgrades on your Solaris 10 OS, you should have a FREE slice like the following example (uses SVM for root disk ; capacity 146GB) output:-

Slice  Mount Point                 Size (MB)
     0   /                               35844
     1   swap                         16386
     2   overlap                      139989
     3   /luroot                       35844
     4   /var                          20481
     5   /luvar                        20481
     6   /opt/weblogic             10841
     7                                  109

Thanks Incredible.
So in your example you set aside a 35gb slice for root and a 20gb slice for var for another upgrade? (luroot,luvar)

If I have a second disk, then I really don't need to worry about that, do I?

Most of my systems have 36gb drives and I don't have a lot of free space. However, they all have 2 disks and are mirrored so I can always break the mirror, return the disks to raw ones, use the second disk for the upgrade, then remirror.

what you're saying is right? you can do that, it requests a prolonged downtime, if you can afford it.