DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message following disk replacement

Hello,

On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active.

We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED.

I've attempted to find out what the DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message means, but no success.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Terry Andrews
system administrator.

I'm not an AIX/IBM expert but, talking generically, array degraded always means that there is no resilience because a disk needs replacing, or an array rebuild has failed for some reason e.g. the new disk does not have enough LBA's, has bad sectors, has also failed, or whatever.

Did the rebuild happen? Could you see substantial activity for a period? Or is that rebuild still running?????

Try re-seating the new drive again and initiate another rebuild.

The rebuild happened. I was watching the status of the rebuild and when it completed, that was when the status of the disk array showed as degraded.

We're not seeing any other disk in the process of failing, though. No other errpt messages other than the one displayed immediately after the replacement.

Does the new disk have the same or more LBA's as the others in the array? Sometimes like models of disk have a slightly different (less) number of LBA's (sectors). The LBA capacity is often on the disk label.

The fact that the error displayed on rebuild completion indicates to me that the RAID controller is not happy with that drive for some reason.

You could initiate another rebuild but the same will probably happen again; but worth a try. Otherwise, replace the disk again.