Dhcp

Hello all, I have this Intel Pentium 233/128 running Solaris 8. I also have a dhcp/router/dns running SuSElinux 7.2.(Sorry if it is out of topic here) My problem is that the Solaris box when it tries to configure the interface (elxl0) via dhcp it fails. It appears, according to the /var/log/messages file in the server, that the Solaris box is requesting address 192.168.0.255 but the server won't allow it.
Why is it requesting this address only? Why wouldn't it request something else? I have other Linux and Windows machines that work without any problems. All of them are set to DHCP and the only server in my Lan is the Linux box.

I specified a fixed address for the Solaris interface using the Mac address at the server. After I did that and made a new /etc/resolv.conf file it started working. My goal is to have all of my lan machines access the internet without proxies.

By the way, the pool of addreses is 192.168.0.1 through 255.

Now that it seems to work, is not a big deal but it just seems strange.

Thanks in advance.

Solaris is sometimes tricky with broadcast addresses and configurable MAC addresses. I have spent hours on misconfigured Solaris ethernet interfaces. Sounds like you did a great job troubleshooting from your note. Please feel free to post again!