Disable all the logs in Solaris

Hi
Is there anyway to disable all logs/logging (lastlog, sulog, messages etc.) in Solaris 9&10? I know this is not recommended but i just want to know if this is possible.

TIA
Reddy

When a system will not be available for an extended time, you can create an /etc/nologin file to prevent users from logging in to the system. When a user logs in to a system that has an /etc/nologin file, the message in the /etc/nologin file is displayed and the user login is terminated. Superuser logins are not affected by the /etc/nologin file.

recreate the log file with link.

ln -s /dev/null lastlog 
ln -s /dev/null sulog 

Thanks for your reply but this is not what i asked. I was talking about logs/logging NOT logins (NOT user login/logout)

---------- Post updated at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:43 PM ----------

Thanks for reply and i was looking something like change in syslog.conf etc. and yes, your suggestion helps me partly.

Sorry late or early depends where you are :slight_smile:

Just disable the syslogd with

svcadm disable system-log

This will disable all logging controlled by the syslogd. Programs not using syslog, like apache, have to be dealt with separately.

On Solaris 9 stop syslog and remove the Start-Link:

/etc/init.d/syslog stop
rm /etc/rc2.d/S74syslog

Thanks for your reply; as i replied in my prev posts, i tried disabling syslog and commented out alll the lines of syslog.conf etc. but ssh logins still being logged.

Change the SyslogFacility in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

# Syslog facility and level
SyslogFacility auth
LogLevel info

Do you mean the logging in /var/adm/wtmpx? If so, there is not much you can do about it - except disabling the utmpd, which I would not recommend.