Different root password between ftp and telnet

Hello All,
I hope somebody can help me

I used to work to client using solaris 2.5.1 using telnet to explore disk and ftp to archive data.

There is one tester which I can connect using root password using putty but always keep rejecting me when i'm using root password using FTP.

Are the root password can be different between the telnet and the ftp ?
If so how can I change the root password for the ftp ??
Does it possible to have double root password for one account ???
Double password on root ????

Distinctly frustrated :confused: :confused: :confused:
Thanks All,

The root password should only work for the root account. A user will be rejected from ftp for reasons other than wrong password. The user could be in the ftpusers file. Or the user could have an odd shell not listed in the shells file.

Depending on what kind of ftp server is used, root can be forbidden in it's config file.
iirc wu-ftpd or proftpd (for example) have such directives in their config which is often turned on per default.

How could I able to find the ftp server that been used, and how can I manage the service.
For additional info when I used user level password work well both in telnet and ftp, but I unable to extrack data with root level permition

1st, as Perderabo said, check the /etc/ftpusers (if it exists) and if there is root listed inside. If yes, comment it out with a hash (#) and try again.

I have no Solaris box so I guess Solaris uses rpm as package manager - I don't know if there is additionally a native package manager in it, so query this one instead.
RPM: For checking what kind of ftpd this is, you can checkout where the binary of the ftpd is, for example open up a connection to the ftp server, then check on the server with

ps -ef| grep ftp
# see that it is a ftpd hopefully, which is the daemon/server
rpm -qf <absolute path to that ftpd binary>

You can also check for packages installed with the name ftp in it and see which is the client and which the server

rpm -qa| grep ftp

Under solaris the command would be
pkginfo | grep ftp
ps -ef isn't going to show anything for a normal install unless someone is connected. Under that old version of Solaris I think ftp was still set up in /etc/inetd.conf. look for /usr/sbin/in.ftpd or something like that.

My best guess is root is in /etc/ftpd/ftpusers since that is the default.

@jhtrice
As is said

O wow.. looks like my problem solve
I'm sorry for long reaction, I,m on vacation for some time.
Thanks All expecially zaxxon.

I just try wahat you said by hashing root on /etc/ftpusers
the ftp now can work fine using root

Again thanks again, don't tired to share