difference betwwen run level and mile stones

hi,
kindly tell me difference between RUN levels and mile stones in SOLARIS

thnx and regards
shekhar

a RUN level determines what services are started and what file systems are mounted. its like the difference between windows safe mode, safe mode with netowrking or a normal boot.

A milestone is baically a check to determine what services are started up and when a set of specified services have been started the milestone is marked online.

1 Like

thanx i got it almost 80%...but could you just elaborate it ;;

for example if i use init s or boot single-user..then what is the difffernce between these two

thnx shekhar

init s is your run level and defines what services are running (which for single user mode is not very many).

if you run the following command you can see what milstones are online.

#svcs "svc:/milestone/*"
STATE          STIME    FMRI
disabled       Aug_18   svc:/milestone/patching:default
online         Aug_18   svc:/milestone/name-services:default
online         Aug_18   svc:/milestone/devices:default
online         Aug_18   svc:/milestone/network:default
online         Aug_18   svc:/milestone/single-user:default
online         Aug_18   svc:/milestone/sysconfig:default
online         Aug_18   svc:/milestone/multi-user:default
online         Aug_18   svc:/milestone/multi-user-server:default

each milestone is marked as online when the pre-requisite services are running, so if you ran init s you should see single usermode online.

Multi user mode would be disbaled because the services required for this would be stopped.

a run level defines what services are stopped/started, a milestone marks whether the required services have been started i.e. has the milestone for that group been reached.

1 Like

thnx i got it now :slight_smile:

Run level S corresponds to milestone single-user. Run level 2 corresponds to multi-user and Run level 3 corresponds to multi-user-server.

When shutting down, use the run levels, eg init S or init 5

When booting up, use the milestone, eg boot -m milestone=single-user

boot -m milestone=none is even less than single-user.

On SPARC, you just enter the boot command at the OK prompt. On x86 you edit the grub menu, add the parameter at the end of the kernel line, and then boot it.

To clarify, starting from Solaris 10, run levels are obsolete and have been replaced by SMF milestones which emulate them.

1 Like