Difference between opengl es and directfb

i dont know in which forum to ask this question ..... :frowning: . pardon me if it is not this forum
i wanted to know difference between openGL ES and directfb
as far i know directfb is alternative to x11 in linux for embedded devices. something like ...

application
        |
   Directfb
        |
    kernel
        |
    hardware

where does openGL -ES stand in above structure . is it similar to directfb. if so which one is better ?
thx in advance

Which is 'better' is a religious question. Which is available, which works best on your hardware, may be more relevant.

DirectFB is an open-source library for Linux and UNIX intended to be small and direct. OpenGL ES is a standard, potentially available on other platforms, but is up to the manufacturer to provide.

DirectFB is supposed to be a small, direct driver, while OpenGL is bigger and more complicated, so it'd generally be higher up. But where OpenGL sits in this tree can vary, it's supposed to be flexible that way. DirectFBGL is hardware-accelerated OpenGL built on top of DirectFB, for example. In the end, it doesn't really matter whether OpenGL is a device driver or a piece of software built around a device driver, as long as it does what the programmer tells it.

1 Like