Difference between development and Production unix servers for a application??

Hi all
I am running a major script of my application in development for implementing code changes for process improvement in time. The script runs in production once in a month . It takes 8 hours 30 mins in Production server . what surprice me is , when I run the same script in development server with out implementing the changes it completes in 4 hours 20 mins .Everything was updated perfectly . Please can I know the any differences in PRODUCTION and DEVELOPMENT UNIX servers for the application ?

~Sakthifire

Are these servers essentially mirrors of each other? How do you synchronize files from the dev to the production environment? Are they identical hardware? Have you benchmarked the IO performance of each? Are there any host/ or network/ specific commands in the script?

Hi
pleaase see the answers for the questions respectively :
#1 . Yes , they mirrors each other .
#2 . I have ftp the input files required for the processing from PROD to DEV
#3 . Yes , they are identical .
#4 . Yes , I benchmarked the IO performance of each by checking the following .
1) size of the output files in PROD and DEV - resulted correctly.
2) Number of lines in output files in PROD and DEV - resulted correctly
3) Insertion of records in to sybase database - resulted correctly
#5 . In the script , it is connected to sybase development database in case of DEV server and sybase production database in case of PROD server .
Commands used mostly are gunzip , gzip ,gzcat , cat , if else , for , diff , compress ....

Please, how do you do the mirroring of the programs and OS configuration?

In the DEV server , it contains the same scripts as in the PROD server .Usally DEV server is used for testing and code changes . Once the code has been finalised and tested, the modified script will be moved to PROD by replacing the original . Both DEV and PROD server are equally compatiable . There is no need for me to go for OS configuration here .

~Sakthifire

Alright, then we do it this way: At all possible points of the program, prefix every command with "time". (You should make sure that the output from time doesn't interfere with your script in any way.) Run it on dev, then run it on production and see where the bottlenecks are.

If the main bottleneck is in the SYBASE inserts, then I suspect the problem is related to table-locking while the database is under heavy load.

Sure . I will do it and reach you soon .

~ Sakthifire

Hi Otheus
I did the same and the result obtained is
I find the stored procedures takes less time in dev compared to stored procedures that run Prod .

I think that as there is low load in dev , it updates the tables fast compared to Prod database .

Please let whether am I right or anyother factors that I have to check ?

~ Sakthifire

I think that's it. It's expected that database procedures take longer in a production environment than in a dev environment. You should not see major time differences in the other places in the script.

Yes Otheus . You are right . I find the script which calls all the stored procedures , takes 80 % of the total time when compared with other scripts .When compared the dev and Prod time log , I find the total time taken in dev is almost half the value in prod . In both the logs the time taken is major by the script which has stored procedures calling .

~Sakthifire