Diectory ownership ...changing

Help......

I am running a 420R w/sol 8 and I am trying to install sun's monitoring software srs netconnect. I have installed it on 6 other boxes with no problem.

Installation failed with the message:
## Installing part 1 of 1.
/etc/opt/SUNWsrspx/CustomerCert.pem
/etc/opt/SUNWsrspx/SRSCACert.pem
/etc/opt/SUNWsrspx/binaries
/etc/opt/SUNWsrspx/srsproxyconfig.cfg
/opt/SUNWsrspx/bin/srsexec
/opt/SUNWsrspx/bin/srsinstall
/opt/SUNWsrspx/bin/srsinstallmode
/opt/SUNWsrspx/bin/srsproxy
/opt/SUNWsrspx/bin/srspxrun
/opt/SUNWsrspx/bin/srspxstat
/opt/SUNWsrspx/bin/srspxtrace
/opt/SUNWsrspx/bin/srsuser
/opt/SUNWsrspx/bin/srsxfer
/usr/lib/libsrsimapi.so.1
[ verifying class <none> ]
## Executing postinstall script.
copying initial install customer cert into place
copying initial install srs cert into place
copying initial install proxy config file into place
copying uninstall script into place
Proxy call to get_srs_gid() failed
proxy queue initialization failed
pkgadd: ERROR: postinstall script did not complete successfully

Installation of <SUNWsrspx> failed.

Error: pkgadd failed for: SUNWsrspx
Exiting installation

Then a tail /var/adm/messages shows:

Oct 21 12:21:09 <hostname> srsuserutil[25151]: [ID 430690 daemon.error] srsproxyconfig.cfg path element not owned by root: /etc
Oct 21 12:21:09 <hostname> root: [ID 702911 daemon.error] proxy queue initialization failed

I did a ls -l on / and output showed that a user(group=staff) other than root owned certain directories that are normally owned by root with sys as group (based on the tail message):

drwxr-xr-x 43 username staff 3584 Oct 21 12:10 etc
drwxr-xr-x 35 username staff 1024 Sep 26 2002 usr

Upon contacting the vendor for the application installed on the server, they said that I should change directories back to root/owner and sys/group.

This was done sucessfully and I performed another install of srs netconnect which failed with the same messages.

When I did a ls -l of / again, I noticed that the owner/group had switched back to the above again(not root/sys).

Why???? What could cause the directory ownership and group ownership to change??

Please help....Thanks.

well if you did the install again and you got the same results i would check the ownership of the patch. d/l it again and veryify agenst another known working machine. also check the perms and ownership agenst a good machine.

that is a good logical start.

Ownership of the patch? Don't understand?....If you mean the ownership of the program I was installing (srs netconnect) then directory and files for program were owned by root, group was staff and it was installed by root.

Every other box was done the same way but the ownership/permissions for /etc and /usr were good before and after install.

Any help would be appreciated....

Anyone have any ideas???? Anyone every seen this?

finster, you know the rules by now...
(4) Do not 'bump up' questions if they are not answered promptly. No duplicate or cross-posting.

I think that Optimus_P wanted you to check the ownership of the patch and it sounds like you did that.

I don't know what to tell you. I've never seen anything like this. You clearly have some software running as root that is badly broken.

My apoligies.....know the rules but didn't realize what I was doing...... Clouded by problem..........Thanks for the reply.

Do you use another ID rather than root ID? I think that your current ID cause the problem. Did you switch the user by 'su - root' before installation?